Washington, D.C. – Yesterday, the Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) culminated its annual Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference and MCCA Diversity Gala in Washington, D.C. The two-day educational conference convened legal professionals and experts for engaging discussions on global diversity, inclusive leadership and talent optimization. The gala, hosted by MSNBC and NBC News anchor Richard Lui for the second year in a row, honored exemplary corporate departments and individuals who champion diversity and inclusion.
Among the honorees, MCCA presented former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder with its prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award. As the first African-American to serve as the U.S. Attorney General, Mr. Holder’s dedication in advocating and promoting the need for greater diversity and inclusion has been at the forefront of his prominent career.
“U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has led an exemplary life of leadership, personal sacrifice and public service,” said Jean Lee, MCCA President and CEO. “His legal career is an example of the invaluable impact of diversity within the legal profession. We are confident that he will continue to inspire for generations to come.”
The 2016 Thomas L. Sager Awardee, Littler Mendelson P.C., was announced at the Diversity Gala, and was selected among three law firm finalists that had demonstrated a sustained commitment to improving the hiring, retention, and promotion of diverse attorneys.
2016 Employer of Choice Awards were also given at the Diversity Gala to companies in five regions for their work in supporting and preserving diverse and inclusive corporate legal departments. This year's awardees were:
- Exelon Corporation, for the Mid-Atlantic Region;
- Kellogg’s, for the Midwest Region;
- The Home Depot, for the South Region;
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise, for the West Region; and
- Bank of America, for the Northeast Region.
The individuals and corporations honored at the Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference included:
- The 2016 Paula L. Ettelbrick Awardee, Lisa Linsky, Partner at McDermott Will & Emery, for advancing lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender attorneys; and
- The 2016 George B. Vashon Innovator Awardees, Washington Gas Light Company and Winston & Strawn LLP, for innovative best practices to assist diverse and women attorneys.
For more information on the 2016 Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference and MCCA Diversity Gala, visit MCCA.com.