“MCCA congratulates the leaders of the new Leadership Council on Legal Diversity upon its formation and aggressive goals to advance diversity in the legal profession,” said Veta T. Richardson, MCCA’s Executive Director. “MCCA and its leadership, which includes several of the new board members of the LCLD, look forward to working as allies in furtherance of our shared goal of full and equal participation by all lawyers.”
The LCLD Board of Directors consists of the current or former senior legal executives from a number of Fortune 500 companies and managing partners from several of the nation’s leading law firms, including:
• Dennis Broderick, Macy's, Inc.
• Francis B. Burch, Jr., DLA Piper LLP
• A.B. Cruz III, Scripps Networks Interactive, Inc.
• Arthur B. Culvahouse, Jr., O'Melveny & Myers LLP
• James C. Diggs, PPG Industries, Inc.
• Martin Frederic Evans, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
• Gregory B. Jordan, Reed Smith LLP
• Geoffrey J. Kelly, The Coca-Cola Company
• Gary Kennedy, American Airlines
• Sandra Leung, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
• Thomas A. Mars, Wal-Mart
• Wally Martinez, Hunton & Williams LLP
• Michele Coleman Mayes, Allstate Insurance Company
• Timothy J. Mayopoulos, Fannie Mae
• Teri P. McClure, UPS
• Rick Palmore, General Mills
• Stephen E. Pickett, Southern California Edison
• Brad Smith, Microsoft Corp.
• Laura Stein, The Clorox Company
Rick Palmore, General Counsel of General Mills, has been the driving force behind the formation of the LCLD and is the new Chair of the Board. MCCA has supported Mr. Palmore’s launch and promotion of the Call to Action - the initiative in which more than 100 general counsel have pledged to pursue diversity in their legal departments and law firms that serve them. MCCA also has hosted the annual Call to Action Luncheon during the MCCA Pathways to Diversity® Conference held in New York City in November.
One of the LCLD’s “Goals to Measure Success” is to recommend the adoption of the MCCA/Vault Law Firm Diversity Database as the primary diversity measurement instrument for law firms. The Vault/MCCA Law Firm Diversity Database is compiled based on the two organizations’ annual diversity survey, a comprehensive online questionnaire distributed to more than 275 of the nation’s largest law firms. The result is quantitative and qualitative data that provides a complete picture of the diversity commitment and programs within each law firm. For more information on the full searchable online tool, go to http://mcca.vault.com. Use of the database is free, but users must register.